Jake Emergency!!!

The scariest moment for Kyle and I in the life of our Jake happened a few weeks ago...
Jake woke up around 9:45pm on October 16th and struggled to breathe, had a deep heavy cough and a super high fever. I scooped him up and took him into urgent care. They got us help immediately and soon had 2 nebulizer treatments, x-rays, meds and an iv into Jakes body. What the nurses and doctor thought was only croup at first, turned into a more complicated issue because Jake's breathing was getting more difficult even after the neb treatments. The doctor and nurses rushed into the room and told Jake and I that Jake would be helicoptered to Children's hospital in St. Paul. All I remember is telling them to talk to Kyle about all this cause it was too much for me to process. After Kyle spoke to the doctor it was within minutes Kyle had woken up all the boys and rushed them up to the hospital.
Jake was all hooked up to monitors and had his foot iv in and ready to go. Kyle helped get Jake all set for "take off" in the helicopter and gave him a kiss. They told us we could not go along but they would call to tell us they landed.
Frantic and shocked to be sending our 3 year old in a helicopter without us, we rushed to Children's Hospital and called family. 
When I reached Jake's room at the hospital, this is how he looked. Total glazed over, but completely comfortable.... and breathing!! I felt so much relief seeing that he was no longer struggling to breathe and his fever had come down. We tucked him into bed and tried to get a little sleep with him. Kyle and I laid down still shocked at what just happened. It all happened SO FAST!!
After only a few hours of sleep, Kyle and I woke up to see him sleeping peacefully. This picture still brings me to tears because we were so scared. In the morning we waited impatiently for the doctor to arrive to give us the details and let us in on what to do going forward. Once he came in he told us that we could rest and know that Jake had a severe case of Croup and when the neb treatments and x rays looked concerning, they needed to get Jake to a place that could take care of him. He wanted to monitor him throughout the day and then he could go home, w steroids and an antibiotic. 
We got Jake to eat some chicken strips with ketchup and drink some special Sprite grandma gave him. After more fluids and food in his tummy, he was looking and acting more like our little guy. His brothers were so worried about their baby bro and it was the sweetest watching them climb into his bed, sit next to the bed and say encouraging words to him. Kyle and I feel so lucky to have the best 4 boys in the whole world!!!
We were also so thankful that my parents were able to meet us at the hospital and take the other 3 guys home for a little rest. I think they arrived at grandmas house at 3a!! And grandma served milk and cookies to the boys before going to bed!!!! She is the BEST grandma!!!! She is always making memories with these guys!!! Thankful.

Here is our Jake smile!! I knew he was feeling better when he gave me one of these JOY smiles before we scooped him up and took him home.
Jake, this is your special story man!!! Can't imagine our family without you! God told me our family was COMPLETE when I held you in my arms for the first time. Love you forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandmas Marathon- getting faster!!

Getting better and getting ready to go home!

Friday came quick!😅